Markets & Finance
Bid & Ask: The Deals of the Week
1. To expand beyond a lagging domestic market, Japan’s No. 3 mobile operator, SoftBank (9984:JP), is buying a 70 percent stake in Sprint Nextel (S) for $20.1 billion, looking to challenge Verizon and AT&T.
4. As part of an effort to pay down more than $75 billion in debt, Madrid-based phone operator Telefónica (TEF) is seeking to raise $2.2 billion in a public offering a portion of its German unit.
5. Ecolab (ECL), a water treatment company, will pay $2.2 billion for Champion Technologies, which specializes in chemicals used in oil production.
6. Buyout firm Advent International is offering $1.9 billion for German retailer Douglas Holding (DOU:GR), bringing a takeover closer after years of talks.
7. Financial Times publisher and Penguin Group owner Pearson (PSO) will pay $650 million in cash for EmbanetCompass, an online learning provider for colleges and universities.
9. Two 1941 Chinese postage stamps bearing the image of revolutionary leader Sun Yat-sen sold for $709,000 at an auction in Hong Kong, setting a record for a Republic of China stamp.
10. An original copy of the 1989 document that banned baseball’s all-time hits leader Pete Rose from the sport for gambling is up for auction with a starting bid of $100,000.