Knox judge faces allegations of impropriety
MILAN (AP) — The judge who announced the guilty verdicts against Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito for murder is facing allegations of impropriety.
Members of the magistrate's governing body said Monday they will request an inquiry into Florence Judge Alessandro Nencini for comments made to Italian media following Thursday's guilty verdict.
The news agency ANSA said the magistrates seeking the inquiry said Nencini had violated the secrecy of deliberations and that comments on Sollecito's trial strategy suggests "partiality." An inquiry can result in disciplinary action.
Italian daily Corriere della Sera quoted Nencini as saying Sollecito's decision not to testify deprived the court of cross-examination.
The Florence court last week upheld guilty verdicts against Knox and Sollecito, sentencing them to 28 ½ years and 25 years, respectively.